EZT MOTORSPORT
Welcome back! Please log in!

RegisterEZT MOTORSPORTHomeSearchLog in

Whats best way for tuning the up the wheels.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Whats best way for tuning the up the wheels. Empty
PostSubject: Whats best way for tuning the up the wheels.   Whats best way for tuning the up the wheels. EmptyThu 10 Dec 2009, 6:06 am

Mainly the rear wheels, my thinking is that the toe should be in the - for the front and in the + for rear any advice and also what's best set-up for dampers and springs it will vary from track to track but not too much until you hit the speedways or ovals. Ta.

Been tinkering with one of my McLaren's (cant mind what 1 the now) but some times when you start off it will some times coast to the right bariare or the leaft.

Is this dew to the way the toe is set up, or is it the caster?

Need to geat head around this one!

ta.
Back to top Go down
F4H FACEPALMER
50 - 99 posts
50 - 99 posts

Number of posts : 53

Gamer Tag : F4H FACEPALMER Registration date : 2009-12-08

Favourite Car : BMW M3

PostSubject: Re: Whats best way for tuning the up the wheels.   Whats best way for tuning the up the wheels. EmptyThu 10 Dec 2009, 8:28 am

If it's only when you start off then it's probably your rear tires losing traction.

I would adjust the camber until the tires heat evenly before I do anything else though, you want maximum grip all the time so if the tires are heated evenly then that means all three sides are getting good contact and the tire isn't leaning too far to one side in the turns. After that then start off with small amounts of toe out, from my experience I have yet to need to tune any toe in on any car, front or back. I forget which is positive or negative but I assume in is positive and out is negative. Dampers and springs can be done with simple calculations to get them close to where they need to be, then you have to adjust it for not only the track but your driving style, not everybody takes turns and brakes the same way so it's never going to be 100% perfect unless you spend time doing laps and fine tuning.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats best way for tuning the up the wheels.   Whats best way for tuning the up the wheels. EmptyThu 10 Dec 2009, 8:42 am

toe in is negative and toe out is positive.

The only time I use neg toe in the rear is to help to correct oversteer on RWD cars and these tricky stock hatch FWD cars. Never had a FWD act so loose until messing with them. Negative toe in the front can help straight line stability. The only time Ive ever used it was when I had alot of toe out on the rear and it wanted to dart left-right on the striaghts. Any toe will mess with the tire heating pattern. Sometimes its nice to add pos or neg toe on the tires that arent heating up very well.

the car wandering left or right on take off could be too low of an accel setting on the differential. Could also be toe out on the front or rear tires.

Last edited by OOOchuckOOO on Thu 10 Dec 2009, 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 2172

Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Whats best way for tuning the up the wheels.   Whats best way for tuning the up the wheels. EmptyThu 10 Dec 2009, 8:48 am

In some cars it is difficult to do but try use as little toe in/out as possible. Find otherways to get rid of the Over and under steer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats best way for tuning the up the wheels.   Whats best way for tuning the up the wheels. EmptyThu 10 Dec 2009, 9:08 am

x2. The way I see it is it works by adjusting how much decrease in grip you want at those tires. Sort of like how lowering rear tire pressure creates oversteer by decreasing grip on the rear tires. Tires not rolling in a straight line is never optimal. Ive gone as far as -.3 on some, but usually try to stay within .2 one way or the other.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats best way for tuning the up the wheels.   Whats best way for tuning the up the wheels. EmptySat 12 Dec 2009, 5:05 am

just try and make 1st and 2nd gears really short.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats best way for tuning the up the wheels.   Whats best way for tuning the up the wheels. EmptySat 12 Dec 2009, 6:45 am

Thanks folks, plenty food for thought. yea when tinkering with em tires i very rarely go out side 2. Thought it be interesting to get all your thoughts on it to see how others do it as well!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: I was mainly asking this as usaly at first i normaly only have the tiers to tune as thtas all I could afforde at begining you see.   Whats best way for tuning the up the wheels. EmptySat 12 Dec 2009, 6:47 am

EZT EpicZ wrote:
In some cars it is difficult to do but try use as little toe in/out as possible. Find otherways to get rid of the Over and under steer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats best way for tuning the up the wheels.   Whats best way for tuning the up the wheels. Empty

Back to top Go down

Whats best way for tuning the up the wheels.
Page 1 of 1